Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Warm feet

Well we did indeed get spring from UVA last Thursday. While we still love our UVA family, it was time to GO! Our biggest test we had to pass before going was learning how to put the feeding tube in. My second try at putting in the ng tube went like this:

ME: ok I'll try again.
NP Carol: You'll do...
ME: I'm done!
NP CAROL:...fine.

Second time is a charm it turns out, for me. Brian was a pro from the beginning as we all expected. And because we found a smaller width tube, Molly doesn't really mind it at all. Phew. So instead of putting it in and taking it out every night, we just leave it in. Saves all of us some stress.

So we got our kit of parts for the ng tube (pole, pump, stethoscope and more supplies than you'll ever need) and it's quite easy to set up and use. Frankly it's a lovely backup net to have and we're all a lot less stressed because of it. With that said, MOLLY HASN'T EVEN NEEDED IT since day two home!! They say that they eat better at home, but I didn't really believe them because Molly has never followed conventional wisdom. It goes to show that when I'm all into the tube, Molly decides she doesn't want it anymore. And she's even been eating a bit over her mar. So go eater! Brian and I have spent the last few days just dumbfounded at how easy it is to feed a healthy(ier) baby. They just eat!!? Within a half hour!!? Of course she has the typical feeding distractions and gas and such. But geez. This. Is. Easy.

We also have a home nurse coming in a few days a week to make sure she's doing well and most important...growing. So far so good. From Friday to Monday, Molly gained 5 oz! As a comparison, Molly gained 6oz all of last month. Yes, month. She's coming back tomorrow so we can confirm that she wasn't just needing to have a 5oz poop or something.

And most of all this is a major indicator of her health improving. It turns out a healthy baby eats. At least a healthy Molly does. Right after surgery when we went up to see her I remember feeling her feet and they were warm. The doctors said it's an indication that her heart is actually pumping blood now to where it needs to be. A few days later I actually asked the doctors to check her out to see if her feet were too warm (I'm crazy town). I remember the doc looked at me and said, "Well, I guess you'll have to get used to what a baby should be like." It took us about 2.5 seconds this time to adjust to her eating well.

Go Molly go!
Oh and hospital pics to come soon on Facebook!
Baptism this weekend too so cute dress pictures to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Go Molly Go! So happy for you all to be home. Looking forward to all of the pictures. Welcome to the Church Sweet Molly! xoxo H & W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even say how much joy this post brings me!!! Go Hungry Molly, go mama, go dad, go team!! And very cool about the nurse -- I feel like I would find that a real comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful. I am so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete